4 DIY Beauty Product Recipes to Jump-Start Your Creations
We created a dilution quick start guide to help you make your own creations. Each of these four basic recipes can pull double duty as two different beauty products. You can also try one of the DIY recipes we regularly post on our blog.
Essential oils enhance blends' aromatic and cosmetic qualities, but they are optional. People with extremely sensitive skin can start by trying their blend of carriers and bases before adding essential oils. Add a small amount of essential oils to your blend if your skin reacts well. Guidelines vary, but essential oils should typically comprise 1-5% of the total blend.
As always, listen to your body and spot test first before using a new product. Discontinue use and seek medical attention if an adverse reaction occurs.
Body Lotion and Face Cream
Create a custom lotion in less than 2 minutes. Rose essential oil is very popular for body lotion, and many face care lines promote tea tree oil benefits. As we prepare for summer, my favorite body lotion blend contains peppermint, mandarin, and lavender essential oils.
- Start with unscented lotion from a brand you trust in a glass or ceramic mixing bowl.
- Add essential oils and blend using a nonmetal utensil like a silicone whisk or spatula.
- Transfer to an airtight container for storage.
Conditioning Body and Hair Oil
Few experiences are more luxurious than massaging your skin with moisturizing body oil after a bath. We created a convenient, nourishing blend of jojoba, grapeseed, and almond oil that is perfect for daily use. You can also try the recipe below to create an ultra rich deep treatment.
- 2 oz (60 mL) argan oil
- 1 oz (30 mL) sweet almond oil
- 1 oz (30 mL) unrefined avocado oil
- 60 - 80 drops (3 - 4 mL) essential oils
- Combine argan, almond, and avocado oils in a large glass or ceramic measuring cup. (It will be easier to transfer to its final container from a cup.)
- Mix well using a nonmetal utensil.
- Add essential oils and blend thoroughly.
- Transfer to an airtight container.
Body Spray and Air Freshener
Enjoy an all natural air freshener with your favorite scents. You can use one of our single flower waters or create your own. Some people with perfume allergies are able to enjoy personal fragrances again by using this instead.
- Blend essential oils.
- Add oils to water.
- Mix well.
- Transfer to spray bottle.
- Shake well before use.
Body Butter and Hair Pudding
This recipe is super moisturizing for skin and hair. This airy whipped butter locks in lasting moisture for dry skin and curly locks all day long.
- 1/2 c (100 g) unrefined raw shea nut butter
- 2 oz (60 mL) jojoba
- 2 oz (55 g) coconut oil
- 30 - 40 drops (1.5 - 2 mL) essential oils
- Melt shea butter and coconut oil in a double boiler.
- Stir in jojoba oil and refrigerate until the mixture is opaque.
- Add essential oils and whip with an electric mixer.
- Allow to cool until the mixture forms stiff peaks.
- Whip until buttery and transfer to a container.
Have fun experimenting!